Changed the lighting slightly, added a blue tint from the window. Next, tackling the rest of the trophies on the wall
Working on the chair corner. Chair isn't finalised, going to do some more interesting things with the back rest, seeing as it is quite a dominant part of the corner.
An update, this time I was particularly into the modelling so quite a big chunk of the corner is now done!
Finished texturing the chair, diamond rug, bearskin and modelled and textured part of the fireplace. Texturing bricks is very therapeutic.
Small update - starting to populate with unique assets starting on the upper left. The umbrella was a lot of fun and a challenge to keep low poly!
Screenshot of the floor and rug in place. I think I will make this scene lit, rather than diffuse only as I like the results - am also using spec on the floor which looks really nice so far.
I was in the mood to paint patterns today, so I went with a rug! Also a good way to start locking in scale as it's a big, prominent piece. Made the tiling floor texture too. It does repeat a little, however there is so much clutter on the floor that it won't be obvious.
Undecided at this point if I want the scene lit or only reliant on diffuse textures - I like both! Will keep options open until a few more props are in the room and the overall results are easier to see.
The wallpaper is a simple tiling texture at 512x512. I debated whether I should make the pattern more regular and organised, but I like the roughness in the original sketch so kept it scribbly!
I modeled and textured one of the smaller props from beginning to end to get a feel for what workflow would work best for this project. I want to keep the poly count fairly low, and it ended up being 310 polys. As there will be no normal maps, I went straight into texturing. I will be using 3d Coat for this project as I like being able to "see" in 3d as I paint, and it is lovely being able to paint straight over seams! I am trying a new technique, where each asset starts with the same base colour and is painted over with layers of colour - this will hopefully create a stronger coherence between each individual asset and pull the scene together. It won't be highly obvious but should create a nice underlying tone. I will be sticking to the concept as closely as possible, but with more obvious highlights and shadows and a few more details where needed. All in all, the prop took 3.5 hours which is not too bad. As the workflow becomes more fluid, it will speed up.
I've had a lot of requests recently for tutorials/walkthroughs for my work, so I thought it might be nice to post more WIPS to show my process for those who are interested. This is the rough blockout started today. At this stage, i'm playing with scale and shape and translating from 2d into 3d (sometimes proportions and shapes simply don’t work). I'm making the room a bit taller and wider, and starting to consider workflow for the individual assets and how I will approach the textures. This is about an hour’s work.